27 February, 2008

Who Are the People in your Neighborhood?



Well, Kids


I probably should have started this a while back but oh well, it's better late than never... I'll be doing an installment of "Who are the people in my neighborhood?" every once in a while just so you get to know some of the people in my life in Arles.... In the short four months that I have been in Arles I have met some wonderful people.. Most of them I have known for a while as I had met them on previous visits to Arles... Being there for an extended period of time has allowed me to get to know them better.... As for my neigborhood..... Well, all of Arles is my "hood" tee hee.... So along down the road I will be introducing mi amigos to you... These are the people who make me feel like I am truly at home in a country that is far away from my own..


And I am blessed to have each and every one of them in my life..


First up, and does this really suprise any one? tee hee... The boys at " Chez Paul"


As most of you know... Well, I am sure all of you know... The Gitanos in Arles are a huge part of my life... They are my extended family here in Arles... At any given night at the bar you can hear anything from the Gipsy Kings to Camaron de la Isla, and Jose Reyes being played... This place is run by Paul. Paul is, as you can see from the photograph of the Reyes Clan... He is the son of one of the Reyes' sisters, Faionne.... Just a bit of triva for those of you who are familiar with the music of the Gipsies... His sister is Bernadette, of Canut's "Bolero" fame... Just thought I'd throw that in...


Here's Paul doin what all of these guys do best and that's sing.... This happened to be on one of the "Homage nights" This night was the Homage to Cameron de la Isla.. On any given night who's who in Gitano music just shows up... If you are there it's an amazing treat to sit and just listen to these guys sing... This night Juanito, and his little boy just happened to be there...


It was amazing to sit and listen to not only Juanito sing along with the Camaron songs but his little boy sang too.. 8 years old and he knew all the words to the song and he sang it with just the same passion as his father did...

Sometimes I have to sit back and look at where I am. I sort of take an inventory of how I ended up at this time and place... I suppose we all do that.. What leads us to where we are... The Gitanos are a part of my experience here.. They have allowed me to share a small part of their world..

Well, this is it for installment 1. Right now I am in America.. Hangin out with friends and family. I will add more to my blog about the people who I call friends in Arles...

~Mel~

No comments: